The Personal Support Worker (PSW) program teaches you skills that allow you to take care of residents in healthcare environments. Personal support workers assist people who may have disabilities and are unable to look after themselves by ensuring that their basic hygiene needs are fulfilled so that they may lead dignified lives. They also support residents’ independence regarding medication, mobility and provide informal counseling when needed.
The New NACC personal support worker program in Hamilton, ON, taught at Grand Health Academy is based upon the Ontario Personal Support Worker Training Standard which provides all graduates with a complete and comprehensive certificate which is recognized in all of Canada. The revision of the training prepares the Support Workers to meet the current needs and preferences of clients/consumers as well as the changing demands of their work environments and was a joint initiative of the Ontario Government and the Ontario Community Support Association. This training program consolidates and replaces existing Health Care Aide, Home Support Worker Levels II, and III training programs.
Once you complete the program, you can choose to continue your healthcare education and apply to the Paramedic, R.P.N., or R.N. or other specialized programs in the healthcare field with confidence.
Grand Health Academy, registered with Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development, is committed to providing quality education to our students so that they are able to enter the workforce with determination and confidence in their work.
|Personal Support Worker||25-Jan-21||9:00 AM – 2:00 PM||MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI||28 Weeks||Online Campus|
|Personal Support Worker||8-Feb-21||4:00 PM – 9:00 PM||MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI||28 Weeks||Online Campus|
|Personal Support Worker||13-Feb-21||10:00 AM – 3:00 PM||SAT, SUN||43 Weeks||Online Campus|
|Personal Support Worker||15-Mar-21||9:00 AM – 2:00 PM||MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI||28 Weeks||Online Campus|
|Personal Support Worker||22-Mar-21||4:00 PM – 9:00 PM||MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI||28 Weeks||Online Campus|
|Personal Support Worker||26-Apr-21||9:00 AM – 2:00 PM||MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI||28 Weeks||Online Campus|
- Approved as a vocational program under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005
- Newest NACC PSW curriculum
- Taught by trained professionals in the industry – they have real-world experience
- Covered by Liability Insurance
- Fully covered by WSIB
- ** Grand Health Academy now offers the NACC PSW-Bridging Program – call for details **
- PSW Training (in class Theory & Practical)
- CPR / First Aid / AED Course included (Red Cross)
- Introduction to Alzheimer / Dementia Care and Palliative Care
- 310 Hours of organized Clinical Placement
- Grand Health Academy has been established to train competent, caring, health care professionals.
- With the help of qualified staff and modern technology, the student will exhibit personal growth.
- This program is designed to prepare individuals with the learning of basic nursing skills to function in the long-term care setting, assisting the elderly, disabled and patient in need in their activities of daily living.
- The Personal Support Worker will understand the human body and its’ systems to enable the worker to give support and care, both physically and emotionally, during this time of need.
- The Personal Support Worker will encourage continued independence in the client, share responsibility in caring for his/her belongings and demonstrate confidentiality.
- The graduate will be prepared to work as a team member under the supervision of registered practitioners.
As the general average age of the population increases and the hierarchy of personnel in the healthcare sector is transitioning, PSWs are in high demand everywhere in Canada. Here are a few examples where you can work:
- Nursing / Long Term Care Homes
- Health Care Agencies, Hospices
- Hospitals, Chronic Care Facilities
- Private Homes
- Recreation centres
- Doctor’s Offices
- Red Cross
- School Boards
- Retirement Homes, Lodging Homes
- Homes for the Mentally / Physically challenged
- The graduate must obtain 70% in each module and an overall average of 70%
- The graduate must pass their PSW Final Exam with a minimum mark of 65%
- Successful completion of hours and evaluation from Clinical Placement
|Duration||28 Weeks- Full Time
45 Weeks- Part Time
|Course Level||Beginner, Intermediate|
|Features||In Class, Assignment, Practicum|
The PSW program covers the following module subjects:
PSW Foundations, Ethics and Communication
Safety and Mobility
Body Systems, Growth and Development
Assisting with Personal Hygiene
Abuse and Neglect
Household Management, Nutrition and Hydration
Care Planning and Restorative Care
Documentation and Working in the Community
Assisting the Family, Growth and Development
Assisting the Dying Person, Palliative Care
Assisting with Medications
Cognitive and Mental Health Issues and Brain Injuries
Alzheimer’s Disease and Restorative Care
First Aid and CPR
After successful completion of the theoretical component of the program, the student will continue with their clinical placement in both long-term care and community settings.